The midwives at True Harmony attend all of our clients' births in the hospital, which is where most people have their babies in the United States. However, just because someone chooses to have their birth in the hospital does not mean they cannot bring in elements to make the space feel comfortable, familiar, and personalized. Here are some suggestions from your True Harmony midwife to help make the hospital feel more like home:
- Bring in a comfortable pillow, blanket, and/or favorite robe
- Make a labor music playlist - try a variety of calm, soothing music as well as more upbeat songs - the change in energy can be helpful!
- Bring in favorite pictures of loved ones
- Bring essential oils such as lavender, lemongrass, and citrus
- Bring electric candles for some dim, calm lighting
- Have friends and family make signs cheering you on to put around the room - this is a fun baby shower activity!
And of course, bring your support people! Include those who you know you can be 100% comfortable with and will be a supportive, positive presence.
For more information and ideas, ask your True Harmony midwife or Dr. Brass at your next prenatal visit.